- Dick Metcalf Contemporary Fusion Reviews Live Show Reviews
- Paula Santoro exciting live concert Paula Santoro/Jasnam Daya Singh house concert at Dr. Wheelz’ pad
- True jazz stars I-5 Allstars at ArtHouse Designs in Olympia, Washington
- Montavilla Jazz Festival Day 1, Act 6 – Rich Halley 5 with Vinny Golia
- Montavilla Jazz Festival Day 1, Act 5 – David Friesen Quartet
- Montavilla Jazz Festival Day 1, Act 4 – Joe Manis Double Drums Quartet
- Montavilla Jazz Festival Day 1, Act 3 – PJCE with Jasnam Daya Singh
- Montavilla Jazz Festival Day 1, Act 2 – Trio Subtonic with Dan Balmer
- Montavilla Jazz Festival Day 1, Act 1 – Ron Steen Quartet
- Charlie Saibel Tipsy piano bar Charlie Saibel’s first gig at Tipsy Piano Bar
- Montavilla jazz festival forefront creative expression Montavilla Jazz Festival 2017
- * jazzcamp portland ryanmeahger * Ryan Meahger’s Jazz Camp 2017
- Smoocho Gusto at Cascadia Grill, 2017/06/21
- A Tribute to John Keeslar LIVE SHOW review by Dick Metcalf
- Breaks and Swells Olympia fall arts walk Breaks and Swells LIVE SHOW review, Rhythm & Rye, Olympia, WA
- Steve Bentley Ensemble Great Northwest jazz supreme Steve Bentley Ensemble at Rhythm & Rye LIVE show Review
- Rob Scheps supercharged dynamic quintet Rob Scheps – Gil Evans Legacy Quintet – Olympia, WA
- Enchantingly memorable musical magic with FLOW (the Group) – Live Show Review, Royal Room, 2018/05/15
- Exciting jazz house concert LaVon Hardison – Live Show review
- Superbly entertaining guitar mastery Eric Tingstad – Live Show review, Harbor Sounds concert series
Tenor / soprano saxophonist Rob Scheps has performed with Gil Evans Band, Vanguard Jazz Orchestra, John Scofield, George Russell, Bob Moses, Terumasa Hino, Al Grey, Clark Terry, Sam Rivers, Julius Hemphill, Duffy Jackson, Cecil Taylor, Joey Calderazzo Quartet… He leads his own bands; Magnets! with Kim Clarke; The Rob Scheps Big Band in Portland, Oregon; and the Rob Scheps Core-tet in NYC; which has a new CD entitled Live at Smalls on the way
Rob Scheps supercharged dynamic quintet Rob Scheps – GIL EVANS LEGACY QUINTET/OLYMPIA, WA: Whenever Rob Scheps has a show in Olympia, you’ll find all the dedicated jazz cats out on the prowl… this one was at the best venue in town, Dr. Wheelz pad… the setting there is always intimate and allows jazz fans to meet the players without the usual restrictions… I got to talk with pianist George Mitchell at some length, as well as other members of the quintet, which is a really cool aspect of these house gigs. I’m not here to “dazzle” you with words, though… there’s really only ONE thing that counts when it comes to great jazz, & that is the performance… so, without further ado, here are (just a few) of the video captures I got during this splendid show…
Rob introduced the first tune in detail, “Bauplicity”…
…you really DON’T get to see & hear performers up so close on a normal basis, so this was absolutely special!
I have no doubt that all the flugelhorn/trumpet lovers in our readership are going to just love Jim O’Connor’s beautiful blow in the clip below…
…some of the sweetest playing I’ve heard in many years!
Next up is a superb solo by Rob…
Phil Sparks bass lead intro on this super-hot performance will thrill all true lovers of jazz from the Gil Evans era…. & those drums from Adam Kessler just KICK it, aye?
So, now you’re a witness to the totally professional work that Rob & his musical cohorts do on a regular basis… they still have a couple of performances lined up, so be sure to catch them if you can… here’s the schedule Rob has posted.
This was the (most current) highlight of my 2018 jazz year… you won’t find players as courteous, professional and fun to be with anytime soon… Rob & his fellow musicians come MOST HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, & get a “PICK” for “best live jazz performance”. Rotcod Zzaj
#Rob #Scheps #supercharged #dynamic #quintet